What's a Foodie To Do?


Well, my friends, I have to start this - my FINAL post - by saying THANK YOU! Thank you for reading the blog, commenting, emailing me with suggestions, passing the blog along to friends and all the other things you've done to support Tally Foodie over the past year. Without you, I probably would not have continued this venture that I started as just "something fun to do." I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it. And if I've gotten you to try even one new place that you didn't know about before - my job is done, and I can close my laptop with a smile on my face!

So I'm sure you're all wondering what is to become of the Tally Foodie blog. After giving it a lot of thought, I've decided NOT to let someone else continue to write the blog. Because it was my vision, I just didn't feel comfortable handing the reins (or the knife and fork, as it were) over to someone else. I hope you can understand. I am going to leave the Tally Foodie blog up on the Interwebs for a while, however, so that you can still peruse the reviews at your leisure and pass it along to friends. I am turning on the comment moderation feature (I seem to get a lot of asian spam comments for some reason) so don't be surprised if your comments aren't posted right away. And I may end up starting a Sarasota food blog sometime in the future. At first, I'm just going to focus on settling in and starting my new job - a girl's gotta have priorities!

But, I didn't want to leave you without some alternatives to turn to. So, if you'd still like to continue reading reviews of Tallahassee restaurants, here are a couple of places to look:

UrbanTallahassee - A website completely dedicated to following the growth and development of the Tallahassee region. Reviews are often posted of new and revamped restaurants in the area.

Urbanspoon - The world's leading provider of time-critical dining data with restaurant reviews from food critics, bloggers and friends. You can find reviews here for Tallahassee and a whole host of other cities throughout the country.

Grubbus - A blog written by Eli, an Austin, TX native who travels frequently to Tallahassee on business. He writes colorful restaurant reviews for both cities.

Le Grand Fromage - A passionate food blog written by Brie, a blogger friend of mine. Many of her posts detail her adventures in cooking, but she also comments on local Tallahassee food shops, events and restaurants from time to time.

Black Coffee & Bourbon - Another blog I found recently through Urbanspoon, who posts Tallahassee restaurant reviews from time to time, along with other miscellaneous musings about his life. His restaurant rating system even looks eerily similar to mine (coincidence???)!

I know I'm irreplaceable - but hopefully one or a few of these sites can fill the empty void that I'll be leaving on your taste buds (*smirks playfully*). I also wanted to leave you with "THE LIST" all the places that have been recommended to me by you - my readers - but that I just hadn't gotten around to trying out and/or reviewing for the blog yet. Maybe it will give you some ideas the next time you can't decide where to go on a Friday or Saturday night! They're listed in alphabetical order, and I've provided links to their websites where available:

Another Broken Egg Cafe
Bada Bean
Bamboo House
Barberitos (Thomasville)
Boss Oyster (Apalachicola)
Brooklyn Pizza
China Delight
Circa Sushi
Dog Et Al
Donut Kingdom
Fat Sandwich
Ghengis Grill
Gordo's Cuban Food
Grandaddy's Barbeque (Thomasville)
Habana's Boardwalk
Harry's Seafood
Jim & Milt's Bar-B-Q
Lindy's Chicken
Los Compadres
Mom & Dad's Italian Restaurant
Momo's Pizza
Moto Sushi & Grill
Nini's Bakery
One Fresh Stir Fry
Pitaria
Po Boys
Ray's Steel City Saloon
Reangthai
Sage
Sumo Sabi Sushi
The Dogg House
Ted's Montana Grill
Tupelo's (Monticello)
Z. Bardhi's

Feel free to add other suggestions in the comment area as well! At this point, I think all that's left to say is - try new places and treasure your local favorites! I will miss you all.

Happy Eating Tallahassee!

8 comments:

Brie: Le Grand Fromage August 8, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

aww, you'll be missed! and you are too sweet to add my blog to your list, thank you. it was nice getting to eat out with you, and i'll let you know if i'm ever down south and in your new neck of the woods. good luck! :)

tallahasseefood August 17, 2010 at 4:09 PM  

Hey! I really love this blog, and will totally still continue to use it as a resource! I am also excited to see if you do a blog for Sarasota food (hopefully!!), because that is my hometown. :D

Anyway, I have started my own Tallahassee Food blog, so it would be great if in your next post you could give me a shout-out!

blackcoffeeandbourbon August 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

Tally Foodie, I loved your blog and it inspired me to start posting on Urbanspoon! I really enjoyed reading your reviews and am sad you're moving.

Also, I completely stole your rating system. I added cleanliness, but it's yours! Gotta give credit where credit is due. :)

Best of luck exploring and eating in your new town!

Mike
aka BC&B

Vinny August 22, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

Just found this blog a couple of weeks ago and have really enjoyed your reviews, very thorough and fun to read. This site really is a great resource for food lovers like me, sorry to see you go so soon.

Wish you the best, good luck in Sarasota!

Daniel Vasquez September 5, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

I truly enjoy this blog!!! I recently moved from Sarasota up to Tally and it was very exciting to run into a hobby I do so well. Eating of course. Please do venture into downtown Sarasota and enjoy all the restaurants/ cafes that the city has to offer. Don't forget about visiting places in the Siesta Key area and St. Armands Circle. You're in for a treat. -Good Eats!-

Eli Castro October 12, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

Enjoy Sarasota - loved reading your posts. Thanks for the Grubbus mention :)

Is there a Sarasota blog in the works?

Catamariner November 19, 2010 at 4:29 PM  

DEFINITELY another respectful request for a Sarasota blog, lovely lady. Not only did we encounter your useful Tally Foodie blog while investigating lunch possibilities on a trip from Pensacola, that trip ends in Sarasota! So, girl, I hope your job has settled into that "handling it all smoothly with time to spare" groove, 'cuz your public is clamoring for you to make with the blogging... as a first recommendation, take a drive to lovely Anna Maria Island and check out the breakfast or the sundowners/dinner at the Rod&Reel Pier at the NE end of Anna Maria. It's very "old Florida coastal," or at least it still was 18 months ago, and unless success has recently gone to their heads, it's an awesomely authentic restaurant/bar on stilts that will make you really feel the "place" you have landed. Lovely small adventure with hubby!

Shipstoday.net January 24, 2011 at 7:15 PM  

How about the Leaning Tower? Right there underneath the corner pocket on Apalachee Parkway. Somewhat run down, but has been in business for over 15 years I remember hearing. Would love to read your thoughts!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!