Angelette's - Southwoodians Rejoice!


First of all, yes, Southwoodians is the correct terminology for all those of you who make your home in the community of Southwood! Because I made it up, that's why. And now you have something to be truly happy about, because after living with only Burger King and China Wok in your neighborhood for who knows how long, you are now graced with the presence of Angelette's Cajun Kitchen!


Tucked into the Publix strip mall off of Blair Street, it looks fairly unassuming on the outside, but don't let that fool you. This. Place. Delivers. The servers are attentive, the food is outstanding and the price is just right.

But, before I get into that - let me talk a little bit about the environment of the restaurant. There aren't a TON of tables - perhaps about 8-10 inside and only a few outside, and when I arrived at 11am on a Sunday to meet my girlfriend for brunch, I snagged the last table in the joint. It's a comfortable hodge podge of tables and chairs of various colors, shapes and sizes, set against a palette of beige, sage and rust colored walls. And while the artwork on the walls is almost too small in size to be impactful, the food and service more than makes up for it.


I was promptly greeted at the door, ushered to a table and asked for my drink order. As I waited for my friend to arrive, my server checked in on me one more time and I decided to go ahead and get an order of beignets for my friend's arrival. I just HAD to compare them to the yumdillicious ones that I had at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans recently. Honestly, I wasn't sure they would be able to measure up, but they certainly held their own. Presented with just as much powdered sugar and with the same sweet cakey pastry dough, the only difference was that Angelette's were hollow inside. But I'd like to think that means that I consumed less calories!


As I looked over the menu, I was struck by the fact that every item was priced under $10. While that would usually make me a little nervous (you get what you pay for!), I had only heard good things about Angelette's, so we forged ahead. For our main courses, I ordered the Bananas Foster French Toast and my friend ordered the Egg Platter. OMG - this place is seriously wrong (and I mean that in a very, very good way)! That is the BEST french toast I've ever had in my life. It was thick sliced, served with warm bananas foster sauce and crunchy caramelized pecans. The warm ooey-gooey bread and bananas, drenched with the brown sugar, cinnamon and dark rum of the foster sauce was enough to send me to the moon and back - but the pecans - ugh, the pecans added the perfect bit of crunchy texture that sent me beyond the moon into the heavens itself. This dish is NOT to be missed!


Okay, now on to my friend's dish - which I can't comment too much about because she totally scarfed it all before I could even try any of it (I still love her, though!). She ordered the Egg Platter, which was composed of 2 eggs made to order (she chose scrambled egg whites), your choice of grits or home fries (she chose home fries) and she added on an order of bacon. When I looked up and saw her plate completely empty with only a few crumbs, I asked her how it was. Her answer was that although these are fairly standard breakfast items, that they were cooked to perfection and tasted great.

Throughout the whole meal, our server was right there with waters, clearing our plates and asking if we needed anything else. The check was brought to us promptly and even after we had paid and were just sitting and chatting, she came and checked on us one last time. Talk about service! Finally Southwood has a great little local eatery. FINALLY! Now, if only they could get a decent bar or two...

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - B+
Taste - A+
Presentation - B+
Service - A+
Price - $

Restaurant Info:
Angelette's Cajun Kitchen
3551 Blair Stone Rd
Tallahassee FL 32301
850-656-1772
OPEN Tues - Sun, 6:30am - 3pm
CLOSED on Mondays

Angelette's Cajun Kitchen on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Chris June 14, 2010 at 4:28 AM  

It is a great place, isn't it? My wife and I are both Southwoodians and we're really happy to have a decent restaurant in the vicinity. Too bad it's not open for dinner. Let's hope a few more will open up in the near future!

Tally Foodie June 16, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

Yes, it's very delish! I agree - I'd love it if they opened up for dinner as well. There are so many great cajun dishes they could serve up - from gumbos and jambalayas to spicy seafood and even bread pudding! YUMMM!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!