Jonah's - Everyday is Fried-day


One lovely Saturday afternoon, a girlfriend and I decided to make the trip up to Thomasville to do a little shopping and have a little lunch. I'd been hearing a lot of good things about Jonah's, the eatery located right next to Liam's (one of my all time favorite restaurants in the area), so we decided to make that our midday stop. After wearing ourselves out buying a few trinkets and truffles, we put our name on the list at noon and were told we'd have to wait about 20 minutes. At that point, we were both ready for a few mimosas! But just as we got seated and took a gander at the menu we realized - dun, Dun, DUNNN - they don't serve alcohol!!! I guess with a biblical name like Jonah's and biblical illustrations gracing the walls, we should have known better. But hey, Jesus turned water into wine, didn't he?


Okay, I don't want this to devolve into a religious discussion, because after politics, it's the least PC topic of conversation, but I just want you guys to know that if you go there expecting a nice afternoon or evening cocktail - you'll be sorely disappointed. Jonah's does, however, bill themselves as a family-friendly, alcohol-free restaurant that represents the owner's faith. So there you have it.

It's a casual, cozy little place with probably about 15 or so tables and a menu that hinges on - what else? - seafood. I mean, cause, you know, Jonah and the whale. Get it? So after frowning and ordering a Coke and a Sweet Tea, we started perusing the dishes and we noticed one startling similarity between most of their offerings. Almost everything seems to be dipped in a seasoned cornmeal batter and deep fried in peanut oil. Literally. Almost everything. Unless you get the Grilled Chicken Salad or something. But, when you can't have alcohol, you've got to feel guilty about something else, right? So, fried food it was.


My friend ordered the Farm Raised Catfish and I ordered the Cyclone Shrimp. And let me tell you - there is something about that cornmeal batter that is simply magic! It's a blend of seasonings, and the crunchy tiny-ball-like texture of the cornmeal batter, which is light and just a bit sweet. Her catfish was served with their signature spicy tartar sauce, which was tangy, tart and spicy all at the same time. And mine was covered in a spicy citrus aioli that tasted very similar to the sauce used on the Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish (which I absolutely LOVE). It was zesty and zippy and a touch sweet. I was literally popping them like my life depended on it!

Now, let's talk about the side dishes. Can you see those big flecks of sea salt on those fries? Those are pieces of sheer bliss. I love a good thick sea salt on my french fries. Yeah, they scrape the coating off my tongue and the roof of my mouth, but that's a small price to pay for sublimeness. But the hush puppies, I wasn't so over-the-moon about. I like hush puppies just like I like my crabcakes - WITHOUT filler. Just the breading. I'm not even sure what these had in them - all I know is that I took a bite, saw something green and didn't touch it again. Tsk, tsk, tsk (*clicking her tongue*). But other than that, I was hooked. Get it? Hooked. Cause of the fish...and the whale...and the....oh, okay, I'll stop.

By the way - thanks to all my readers who emailed and wondered if everything has been okay with me. I've just been out of town on business a while and haven't had much time for blogging between the 10-12 hour days. Yes, that's right. It was "the man" keeping me down again. Doesn't he know I have food to eat and restaurants to write about??!!!

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - B - (I'm docking them a bit for the lack of alcohol)
Taste - A
Presentation - B
Service - A
Price - $$

Restaurant Info:
Jonah's
109 East Jackson Street
Thomasville GA 31792
229-226-0506

Jonah's on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

College Girl May 11, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

I love your blog! I told some of my friends about Bahn Thai after I saw your review on here and we all decided to go for dinner one night. Not one person (out of 7) had a bad thing to say about their food. Thanks for posting all of your reviews. You are helping a bunch of college girls branch out from the normal restaurants around campus :)

Tally Foodie May 13, 2010 at 6:03 AM  

Bahn Thai is definitely one of my favorite hidden gems in the city! Glad you and your friends enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting on the blog!

woofboy111 May 23, 2010 at 12:39 PM  

I think I'd have some issues eating here with the restaurant owners trying to push their religious affiliations on the customers.

People can believe in whatever beliefs they want, but don't push the ideas onto your paying customers with biblical illustrations on the walls and trying to go back in time to the days of prohibition!

Tally Foodie June 10, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

Woofboy - I would have to agree with you on this one. But we have to remember that Thomasville is an area made up of a majority of very conservative, church-going people. So, I assume Jonah's is just playing to their audience!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!