Mr. Roboto - Not Bad, Sir


When I saw that Mr. Roboto was the #1 ranked Cheap Eats restaurant in Tallahassee on UrbanSpoon, I was a bit intrigued. I hadn't really heard much buzz around town about Mr. Roboto. But hubby and I decided that if it was #1 on the list, then we had to give it a try.


I have to be honest - I had low expectations. From everything I'd heard, it sounded like "fast food" sushi. And I wasn't sure if I'd get something fresh or something akin to what you get when you grab a carton out of the Publix cooler. I was certain the seafood would be rubbery and the rice would taste like it was day old leftovers. But you know what? I was pleasantly surprised.


Yes, you stand in line, place your order at the counter, take your number and have a seat. Yes, the sushi is on the cheaper side ($4.95 - 7.95 per roll). Yes, the tables are a little sticky and some wobble a bit. But yes, the sushi is actually good. Is it the best sushi in town? No. Masa and Sakura are still tops on my list, but Mr. Roboto's is no sloppy seconds.


The edamame was properly cooked and excellently salted (can you see all that salt?). The rolls were large and full of flavor. We ordered the Roboto Roll (cause come on, you have to order the namesake roll!) and the Shrimp Tempura Roll. The Roboto roll was made with panko crusted spicy tuna, topped with baked krab (note the k) in a spicy sauce. It was a delightful combination of crunchy and spicy and hot and melty. The shrimp tempura roll was made with, of course, shrimp tempura, along with cucumber, avocado and teriyaki sauce. And it was also a sweet crunchy little thing.


It's easy to see why college kids pack the place from wall to wall. It's right across from campus, the food is good and reasonably priced and the atmosphere is fun. Aside from sushi, they also have hibachi, kitchen meals like General Tso's chicken and there's a great little "sauce bar" where you can choose from about 10 sauces like soy, miso, teriyaki or peanut sauce to top your dish.

It's a fresh, funky little joint where you can get a lot of bites for your buck. The next time you're in the neighborhood, give it a shot. You might just be surprised by what Mr. Roboto's got cookin!

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - B-
Taste - B+
Presentation - C+
Service - B
Price - $

Restaurant Info:
1350 W. Tennessee St
Tallahassee FL 32304
850-915-0555
Website Link

Mr. Roboto on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Mark March 8, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

I'll have to check out Roboto. I past by it every day from work and its always crazy crowded.

I saw you mentioned Masa and Sakura, but my wife has been railing on about Jasmine's Sushi. Have you been?

Tally Foodie March 9, 2010 at 5:22 AM  

Mark - Yes! I have been to Jasmine. That place always slips my mind. They have great sushi at a good value as well. It's a bit on the tiny side, though. If you go to the Blog Archive on the right hand side of the page and then click on October under 2009, you'll see my review of Jasmine!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!