Liam's - More like Li-YUMS!


If you visit Thomasville but for no other reason than to eat at Liam's, it will have been well worth the trip. This cozy, fine dining establishment is smack dab in the middle of Thomasville's downtown historic district, and it certainly does look historic. The building was constructed in the early 1900's and has been renovated to retain much of its original charm. The interior has a very rustic vibe with exposed brick walls, heavy country-style furniture and an open kitchen. The atmosphere at night is dark and romantic, and the gourmet food is nothing short of spectacular.



The menu varies by the week and is dependent upon the seasons and the freshest foods available. Liam's makes it a habit to serve only natural, organic, sustainably-sourced foods, not necessarily out of any sense of social or environmental responsibility, but because they believe that it just tastes better that way. They dice and grind and mash and chop and cook everything by hand, because that's the honest way to do it, and it's their passion. They love to create cuisine that you'll love. And believe me, you will love it.


At Liam's, it's best to start out with a selection of their delectable cheeses. They're a bit freakish about their cheese at this place - as they normally have between 50-100 cheeses on hand at any given time. Unless you're a real cheese-head, don't even try to decipher the cheese menu on your own. Just have the lady of the house come over to your table and talk to you about your cheese preferences. Then she'll make the selection for you. On this night, hubby proclaimed that he didn't want anything soft or anything smelly (eloquent, right?). And just like that we were delivered 3 delicious cows milk cheeses from around the world. They were brought out to us with a dollop of honey and a handful of almonds and it was absolute perfection. I would eat a bit of cheese and then eat a honey-dipped almond, and then eat a bite of honey-dipped cheese. Ummm. Combine all that with the perfect, fruity glass of white wine and the dinner was off to an excellent start. Vive la fromage!


Next, I ordered a bowl of the Tomato Basil Blue Crab Bisque, because it sounded absolutely divine. Made with heavy cream, fresh tomatoes and hand-picked blue crab, it was rather delicious. The only thing that would have made it better was if they had de-seeded the tomatoes before adding them to the soup. There seemed to be a lot of seeds in my soup, and I kept having to spit them out into my napkin. I'm not particularly fond of tomato seeds, as I always seem to bite into them and they end up hurting my fillings. Weird, but true.


Next, the main delight. I ordered the Black Trumpet Yellowfin Crusted Tuna and hubs ordered the Prime Beef Tenderloin. Both were superb. I mean just look at that tuna - seared rare with that beautiful red color, atop a bed of pickled seaweed and drizzled with a sweet soy glaze. This was definitely a generous portion of fish. I could have probably done with just two of the portions instead of four. And I definitely could have used more of the glaze to dip the tuna in. But this was certainly a delicious dish. The tuna just melted in my mouth, almost as if it was made of butter. And the pickled seaweed provided a nice, tangy texture.


Hubby's dish was also sublime. It was the most tender cut of meat, served atop sauteed fingerling potatoes, topped with sauteed mushrooms and coated with a demi-glaze. It was like eating the most juicy piece of meat you could ever imagine, that had been floating on a fluffy, buttery cloud of potatoes with the sauce adding a bit of sweet-smoky haze to the concoction. I hope that sounds as wonderful as I want it to sound. But if not, just know that it was totally, absolutely, ridiculously wonderful. So there.

If you haven't traversed the 36.6 miles from Tallahassee to Thomasville to eat at Liam's, you should really pick up the phone and make a reservation right now. Because you will need a reservation to eat there. With only about 15 tables in the house, don't expect to show up and just get a table. Food like this generally sells out every single show. As it should.

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - A+
Taste - A+
Presentation - A+
Service - A+
Price - $$$

Restaurant Info:
Liam's
113 East Jackson Street
Thomasville GA 31792
229-226-9944

Liam's Restaurant on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

UNC8185 March 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

I am glad that you made it to Liam's. I think that it is the best restaurant in the area. My only wish was that Liam's and other great restaurants in the area could have better settings. I would love to have the option of great food in a garden setting.

Try Jonah's next door to Liam's. Thomasville residents have said that it may be better (without wine).

Tally Foodie March 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM  

I actually just went to Jonah's for lunch! It was delish. My review about it should go up soon.

Tracie April 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

I was just going to say...Go to Jonah's! ....so I'm glad you went. Jonah's is awesome and very consistent. Looking forward to your review!

Also, have you considered trying Monticello restaurants? Since I live there, I highly recommend: Tupelo's organic bakery, Sage, The Brick House Eatery, and Rancho Grande Mexican...

love your blog-

Tally Foodie June 10, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

Thanks for the love Tracie!

I haven't been out to Monticello yet, but have heard good things about Tupelo's. I've added all your recommendations to my list!

Ah, so much food...so little time!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!