Jenny's Lunchbox - Worth waking up for?


Whenever I drive by Jenny's Lunchbox during the weekends, I always see an overflowing parking lot and streams of people lined up outside waiting to get a table. To my foodie mind, that means "great place to eat!" So I've been wanting to try Jenny's for a while now. But honestly, I can't get my foodie butt out of bed early enough on the weekends to go out to eat for breakfast! But when hubby said he wanted to take me on a "Sunday morning date" to Jenny's, I just couldn't resist.



We arrived probably around 10:30am, and were told we'd have to wait about 20 minutes. There was no place to wait inside, so we squatted at a table outside and braved the cold morning air. After about 25 minutes, we were ushered to our table, and realized that "box" couldn't be closer to the truth. There are probably only about 10-12 tables inside, all either 2 or 4 tops, and they're definitely jam packed in there.

Jenny's Lunchbox reminds me a lot of the Lanford Lunch Box from Roseanne. (Throwback!) But it's fancifully decorated on the inside with various lunch boxes hanging from the ceiling. I think I saw everything from I Love Lucy and New Kids on the Block to Star Wars and Care Bears. (More throwbacks!) Looking at all the different lunch boxes definitely makes you smile and remember the days when you used to trade jello cups for moon pies right before recess.


The food is definitely of the greasy spoon variety - eggs, pancakes, bacon, home fries, waffles, cheese grits and biscuits and gravy. But the portions are large and the prices are small. I got a Short Stack of 2 Buttermilk Pancakes for $2.50 and a Side of Bacon for $2.00. The pancakes were large and fluffy and the bacon was thick and crispy (a must in my book!). But I have to admit that I wasn't super impressed. Hubby normally makes a mean pancake breakfast for me on Sunday mornings and I'm not sure Jenny's ranked any better than his (except we didn't have to cook or clean up afterwards).


Hubby ordered the Jenny's Special - 2 eggs any way you like (hubs picked scrambled), your choice of bacon, ham or sausage (he picked bacon) and your choice of home fries or cheese grits (he went with the fries). I believe his meal was just a little over $4. The eggs were awfully whipped and fluffy and the home fries (my favorite part of both of our meals) were crispy on the outside and melty on the inside. They were also coated in a good dose of salt and pepper, which made them even tastier. I love a good crispy home fry. And these were darn good.

All in all, you can grab a cheap, decent breakfast at Jenny's. But instead of fighting the crowd and being jammed into a restaurant like sardines, I'd rather stay home in my jammies and watch Hubby flip the flapjacks. Even if I do have to do the dirty dishes.

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - C-
Taste - B
Presentation - C
Service - B
Price - $

Restaurant Info:
Jenny's Lunchbox
295 N Magnolia Dr
Tallahassee FL 32301
850-942-9766

Jennys Lunchbox on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Lindsay April 1, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

Next time, you should try Canopy Road Cafe. They are under the same ownership as Jenny's, but the menu is larger with more variety and creativity. My favorites so far are the sweet potato pancakes! There are two locations, one out in Killearn and one in the midtown area off of North Monroe. Also like Jenny's, it tends to get crowded on weekend mornings so expect a wait. But, I would imagine you'd find this place a bit more worth it!

Tally Foodie April 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

Thanks for the tip, Lindsay! I've always wondered what the food at Canopy Road is like. Maybe I'll have to try that the next time I can get my butt out of bed for breakfast!

Chris May 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

Looks, interesting- thanks for the review! We tried Angelette's last weekend (in the Publix shopping mall near Southwood on Capital Circle) and that is another great breakfast place! Great biscuits and gravy and excellent pancakes. There are all sort of southern & cajun specialities (beignets!). Reasonably priced too!

Keep the great reviews coming, this is such a great resource! Thanks!

Tally Foodie June 10, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

Chris - thanks for the recommendation! I had actually heard a bunch of great things about Angelette's recently, so I decided to check it out! And it lived up to all the praise it's been receiving. My review just went up on Angelette's if you'd like to take a look!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!