Cabo's - Get the Lard Out!


If there ever was a restaurant that was part Jimmy Buffett, part Jungle cruise and part Mexican Riviera it would be Cabo's. It's quite an enigma. As you walk in, the first thing that will strike you are the multitude of surfboards hanging from the ceiling throughout the restaurant. And you might assume that Cabo's is a seafood restaurant, which it is. But then you notice the tropical jungle murals, and wonder if the place serves Caribbean island food, which it does. And then you sit down and see the extensive authentic Mexican section of the menu, and at this point you should be thoroughly confused. Cause I know the first time I visited Cabo's, I was.



To me, I can't think of Cabo's as anything other than a Mexican restaurant. I've never ordered anything off the Seafood or Island Specialties section of the menu. To me, it's Mexican or bust. The only thing that's different at Cabo's versus other Mexican restaurants is that the chips and salsa do not come free. But at $1.69, they're not super-expensive either. You just have to remember to ask for them when you sit down, because if you don't, they'll never arrive.

The thing I like best about Cabo's is their strong HATE of lard. They slap it all over the Mexican section of their menu in black letters with a red slash through it. Get it? NO LARD. They don't use lard in any of their beans, so I guess that makes it semi-healthy Mexican (if there is such a thing). Their refried beans taste exactly the same as any other beans I've had - so there's no love lost as far as taste goes. And it just makes me happy to know that I'm ordering something that is devoid of lard. Because, let's face it, lard sucks.


So, I ordered the Supreme Chicken Burrito for just $4.99, with chicken, refried beans, sour cream, olives and tomatoes. If you prefer, you can make your burrito Wet by smothering it with lettuce and salsa, or you can make it Ultimate by covering it with queso cheese. The size of the burrito is comparable to those of Moe's or Chipotle's, but there's no rice included, which means that it won't fill your belly up as quick. The chicken is marinated and all white meat. All in all, it makes for one tasty (and partially guilt free) burrito. You know, cause of the no lard thing.


My friend who was with me that day ordered three Beef Tacos for just $5.59, which quickly disappeared from sight without a complaint, so I'm pretty sure those were delish as well. As with most Mexican restaurants, the portions are generous and the prices are low. But I do have one bit of advice for you. Don't let them give you the table in the back of the restaurant near the fish tank. Unless you want to be bothered by an endless stream of kids clamoring up on the step stool, tapping on the glass, banging the back of your booth, laughing and screaming and going all gaga over the darn fish! I mean seriously kids, they're just fish. But I guess if you HAVE kids, it might be good to sit there to keep them occupied and not have them bothering other well intentioned patrons. Like me. Okay? Just a suggestion. A very strong one.

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - B
Taste - B
Presentation - C
Service - A
Price - $

Restaurant Info:
Cabo's
1221 Apalachee Parkway
Tallahassee FL 32301
850-878-7707

Cabos Tacos on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

Rgg6456 March 12, 2010 at 6:21 AM  

Your comments about lard reminded me of a time when a guest chef on a Food TV channel show (I think it was "In Julia's Kitchen") talked about the guest's book titled "In Praise of the Lard."

I love your blog!

RGG6456

Tally Foodie March 12, 2010 at 6:24 AM  

RGG6456 - Thanks for the love! :)

Lindsay March 12, 2010 at 2:59 PM  

The food other than the mexican stuff on the menu is definitely worth a try! Their crab cake sandwich is one of the best I've ever had. You can tell its fresh and it has lots of crabmeat and not a lot of filler stuff like breadcrumbs. Their french fries are also very yummy, I'd imagine they are fresh cut & made there.

Tally Foodie March 15, 2010 at 11:52 AM  

That's good to hear! I should definitely force myself to try something else on their menu the next time I go. Plus, I loooooove a good crabcake, especially without all the filler. Thanks for the tip!

Samantha March 31, 2010 at 2:41 AM  

It took me 1 minute plus before I found the post comment on this site.!!hahah.Buts its okay,!!The pics of those foods makes me hungry,.I want to try their crabcake.I am a Mexican food lover.!!I'll visit the place one of these days,.!

restaurants wells

Kevin April 7, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

I am also guilty of ordering the same thing everytime I go to Cabo's. The first time I went there I ordered the blue cheese burger and in the 6 or 7 times that I've gone back there, I have never been able to get myself to order anything else other than that plateful of perfection.

Tally Foodie April 8, 2010 at 2:43 PM  

Oh...a blue cheese burger does sound like perfection! Maybe I'll have to give that a whirl on my next visit. Thanks for the suggestion!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!