Shane's Rib Shack - It's Good to Get Messy!


Well, we're in the south y'all (I can't believe I just typed that, by the way). And down south, BBQ is just about as important as nail salons and grits. Now, I must admit that I am a creature of habit, so when I find something good, I tend to forfeit all others and keep returning to that sweet spot. And oh, what a sweet spot Shane's Rib Shack is!



It's not fancy by any stretch of the imagination - you order at the counter, seat yourself and then go wash up at the basin that's conveniently located right in the dining room. They do bring your food out to you, but for your drinks and your sauce, you're on your own. But that's alright by me, because what they lack in fancy, they make up for in food.


To me, a good pulled pork sandwich can cure just about any ill. Your job driving you crazy? Pulled pork sandwich. Tired of cooking dinner? Pulled pork sandwich. House is a mess? Pulled pork sandwich. Feeling fat? Yes...that's right...pulled pork sandwich. Why? Because when you bite into this melty, juicy, smoky, saucy piece of heaven, your eyes will roll into the back of your head and you'll forget you were ever upset about anything at all!


The "Big Dad" sandwich at Shane's delivers all that and more. Tender, juicy pork is delivered between 2 pieces of buttered Texas toast (for a nice little crisp) and then you're allowed to slather as much of Shane's BBQ sauce on there as you want. Which for me, is an awful lot. I regularly test the limits of the Texas toast with the amount of sauce I drench my sandwich with. There's just something about Shane's sauce that gets me right between the jaws. It's a little bit smoky, a little bit sweet and all too savory delicious. On their website, they claim the recipe is a old family secret, so I guess we'll never know what gives it it's "je ne sais quoi." But whatever it is, it goes all over my sandwich and when I'm done there, it goes all over my fries as well. And sure, you might get some on your fingers, arms or even your shirt. But that's a small price to pay for awesomeness.


Normally, I like my pulled pork to come to my table already coated in the sauce. I've found that at other places where I have to add the sauce myself, the flavor doesn't seem as potent or omnipresent in the sandwich. However, I think Shane's sauce is a bit more watery or slippery if you will, which sounds bad, but is actually good. When the BBQ sauce is too thick, you put it on your sandwich and it stays put. So you'll sometimes get bites with BBQ and some without. I hate that. I want BBQ sauce in EVERY bite. But there's something about Shane's sauce that just seems to permeate the entire sandwich, even though you're adding it on afterwards. And don't get me wrong, sometimes I get halfway through my sandwich and then go back and add more sauce, but it's because it's soooooo yummy. Not because it's not doing its job.

I've been told I also need to try Jim & Milts and Piggy's BBQ, but every time I get a hankerin' for BBQ I can't make myself go anywhere other than Shane's. It's becoming a real problem.

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - B
Taste - A
Presentation - C (But hey, it's BBQ!)
Service - B
Price - $

Restaurant Info:
Shane's Rib Shack
1424 West Tennessee St
Tallahassee FL 32304
850-309-7427

Shane's Rib Shack on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Chris March 11, 2010 at 5:04 AM  

My wife and I tried this the other day and enjoyed it a lot. The Big Dad was pretty amazing. All in all a decent BBQ joint and pretty reasonable prices. Thanks for the tip!

Tally Foodie March 11, 2010 at 8:33 AM  

I'm so glad you enjoyed your meal! You really can't go wrong with the Big Dad sandwich. It's a little bit of heaven between two slices of buttery toast. Ahhhh....

woofboy111 May 23, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

Probably about 2-3 years ago, Shane's Rib Shack opened two stores here in Orlando. Neither one lasted more than a few months.

I think there's just too much competition with all of the superior private barbecue places around here...

Tally Foodie June 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

As of June 14th, 2010, Shane's Rib Shack is closed. I believe they are trying to find a new franchisee to take over and re-open it, but for now, their BBQ is off the table.

*Pauses for a moment of silence*

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!