Au Peche Mignon - Guilty Pleasures Indeed!


After our adventurous lunch at Kitcho, we walked just a few doors down to a wonderful little French pastry shop called Au Peche Mignon. This bakery had also been recommended to me through email by one of my readers, so I was especially thrilled to try it out (even though I had to break my diet a bit to do so - yes, that's right, I'm TRYING to diet, and don't scoff - I'm getting ready for a trip to Aruba)!


It took me quite a bit of Googling and Wikipedia to figure out what the name of this bakery meant. Not knowing a lick of French, I first thought it meant, "my little mignon" (as in, filet mignon), but I was sure that meat had no rightful place in the name of a bakery. When I used a free online translator, it told me it meant "to the darling peche," which I was sure still wasn't right (since one of the words wasn't even translated). So I did a search for just Peche Mignon, which came back as "guilty pleasure." And when you add the Au, you get "the guilty pleasure." I think. Yes, that's my final answer. Lock it in, Regis!


It's a very fitting name, as there are many guilty pleasures that await you inside. So many, that I sat there dumbfounded trying to make my decision about which delight I was going to use to cheat on my diet. There were truffles and chocolates, cakes and pies, mousse and macaroons and so many other temptations I'd never even heard tale of before! What was a girl to do? A Vanilla Eclair. That's what.


After letting my lunch settle, I dug into my little white bag and extracted my vanilla eclair with the intention of eating just half to save the other half for later (as a good girl should). But before I knew it, I was licking my fingers, with no trace of eclair left in sight! Oops. The vanilla filling was so light and fluffy, the pastry was so flaky and airy, and the chocolate on top was so rich and crisp. And with just a dollop (or two) of whipped cream on top, it was so sinfully scrumptious! I can safely say, it is the BEST eclair I've ever had in my LIFE.

Well, you wouldn't believe it, but not 2 minutes after I concluded my little pig out session, H called me at my desk and asked me to share his Blueberry Pear Frangipane Tart. I tried to back out, really I did. (I can tell you don't believe me.) I'm telling you, I protested. But H brought me a quarter of the tart anyway, and you know, it started getting my file folders all greasy, so I had to get rid of it somehow. Yeah, I scarfed it. And it too, was yumdillyicious. The soft, tangy texture of the pear mixed well with the tartness of the blueberry and the cakey batter (not sure if that's the correct terminology) was moist and crunchy at the same time. Ugh. Heaven.

Did I feel guilty? A little. Was it worth it? Abso-friggin-lutely.

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - B (there are only a few wire tables inside and out of the tiny bakery)
Taste - A++
Presentation - A
Service - A
Price - $

Bakery Info:
Au Peche Mignon
1415 Timberlane Rd
Tallahasse FL 32312
850-668-5533
*I couldn't find a website for these guys, if you know it, please post in the comments!*

Au Peche Mignon French Pastry Shop on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

JennyM October 20, 2009 at 6:21 AM  

H's Blueberry Pear Frangipane Tart looked so scrumptious that I, too, had to try a bite. And that's saying something, given my gluten allergy and all. (And you felt bad about cheating with your Eclair!) But I just stuck to one bite, and it was totally worth it. YUM.

Chris November 14, 2009 at 7:17 AM  

Thanks so much for this recommendation! I went there this last weekend and it was spectacular. Have you tried Tasty Pastry Bakery? It is nearby and has delicious cookies.

Tally Foodie November 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

Chris - Glad you enjoyed it! No, I haven't tried Tasty Pastry yet - I'll have to add it to my list. Thanks for the tip!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!