Wells Brothers - Burgers Well Done


As we headed over to Wells Brothers (aka: Monk's), we weren't quite sure what to expect. I've lived in Tallahassee for a year and a half and I've never heard boo about this place. However, I received a suggestion through email recently and so hubby and I thought we'd check it out (see...if you email me, I will listen!)



It's a small little dive on a side of town that we rarely venture, but as we pulled into the parking lot, snagged the last empty spot in the back and saw people playing Cornhole outside, we thought it had to be a pretty fun place. And we know that sometimes the best burger joints are those little hole in the wall places that are off the beaten path, so our mouths were watering as we walked inside. But I do have to warn you - if you're coming here for the service, you will be extremely disappointed.


When we walked in, one of the servers barked out that there were open tables in the front, the back and outside. But he didn't make any move to try to seat us, so we just wandered into the back and sat ourselves. Inside, there's definitely a ruckus - a loud din that permeates the echoing room. And there were at least 9 TV's in the room we were seated in alone - which, as all you ladies know, makes it mighty hard for your man to concentrate on you and not whatever game or bright shiny visual is playing on the TV.

A female server approached us a minute later and the first words out of her mouth were not "Hello" or "How are you tonight?" or "What can I get you to drink?" they were - no joke - the following: "The kitchen is running slow tonight, so you're gonna have to wait about 30 minutes for your food." Well, okay, then, so that was how it was going to be. Now, we didn't have anywhere to be, so it wasn't a huge deal for us, but I did think it was a little rude to start out with that. She could have at least eased into it a bit, right?



Although their menu boasts various sandwiches, salads, pizzas and wraps, the place is best known for burgers, so we ordered up 2 of our own creations. And with over 60 toppings to choose from - including unique things like peanut butter, green apple slices, pickle chips and sour cream - it was a bit hard to choose! Mine was a BBQ, Bacon and Blue Cheese Burger, and hubby ordered a Cheeseburger with Lettuce, Tomato and Ketchup (a true All-American classic!). And indeed we did not have to wait 30 minutes for our burgers like Miss Badnews Betty predicted, but only about 15, so we were pleasantly surprised. And where the service was lacking, the burgers were not. They were both moist and juicy, made with fresh ingredients and served on slightly toasted buns. The bbq sauce on my burger was tangy and mixed well with the sharpness of the blue cheese and the crispy bacon. Hubby must have been equally satisfied too, as his mouth stayed full until his burger was completely demolished. The fries were also very good - crunchy on the outside, warm on the inside and nicely seasoned with salt and pepper (to me, the seasoning makes all the difference).

But if I could revisit the service for just one more moment. One of my biggest pet peeves is when my drink doesn't get refilled promptly. Not only did my glass sit empty for quite some time, when my server took it away to refill it she didn't return for about 10 minutes. And when she did, she claimed that another server took my Coke and served it to someone else. So - did that mean that some other poor patron was at that very moment sucking on a straw that had my cooties all over it? I shivered at the thought.

So, if you're looking for a pretty outstanding burger, give Wells Brothers a whirl. But if you're looking for great service, don't say I didn't warn you!

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - C (it's pretty much a bar scene, so it's very loud inside)
Taste - A
Presentation - B
Service - C
Price - $

Restaurant Info:
Wells Brothers Bar and Grill
1710 W. Tharpe Street
Tallahassee FL 32303
850-942-6665

Wells Brothers

3 comments:

Turner September 23, 2009 at 5:36 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brie: Le Grand Fromage October 4, 2009 at 6:56 AM  

oh my. this is no good. i'll have to take you back there one day so you have a good experience and delicious food! sorry the first time was a bummer!

Tally Foodie November 10, 2009 at 7:12 AM  

The food was delicious, it was just the service that left a bit to be desired. But from what I've heard that's pretty standard for this place. I'll definitely return, however. I want to try their Lipsmacker burger - the one with the peanut butter on it - mmmmmm!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!