New Orleans Day 3 - Red Fish Grill


For our last meal in New Orleans (*tear*), we traveled back to Bourbon Street to grab a bite to eat at Red Fish Grill before our Haunted French Quarter Tour - because everyone knows you don't want to meet a ghost on an empty stomach!



This fun and funky little place has been voted the best seafood restaurant in New Orleans 4 years in a row, so we were ready for a treat. We quickly requested an order of the joint's signature BBQ Oysters, and were completely blown away. These babies were flash fried, tossed in a tangy-smoky-sweet bbq sauce and drizzled with their homemade blue cheese dressing. I know I keep saying this about the food I've been having in New Orleans - but these were the best oysters I've ever had in my life! I've never eaten oysters any other way but straight up raw, but these sounded so scrumptious, we just had to get some. I'm so glad we did, because they were amazing!


Next, I ordered the RFG House Salad, which consisted of hearts of romaine, crumbled blue cheese, tomatoes, roasted pecans and an apple-rosemary vinaigrette. I have to admit, this salad had the potential to be super good, but the salad dressing kinda killed it for me. It really had no taste to it at all, which absolutely infuriates me. I don't just want wet lettuce - I want it to actually be flavorful - is that too much to ask??


For our main entrees, I ordered the Coconut Shrimp and hubs ordered the Hickory Grilled Redfish with Jumbo Lump Crabmeat. Now, I know what you're thinking - I ordered a heck of a lot of shrimp in New Orleans, and you're right. I really don't know what I was thinking other than the shrimp dishes always looked the most yummy to me! These were jumbo Louisiana shrimp fried in a sweet coconut batter and served with a sweet and spicy pepper jelly sauce. The shrimp were crunchily delicious and the sauce gave them a nice zip! But I could have done without the pineapple red pepper rice pilaf. The rice was flavorless, and of course, I don't like extra fruits and veggies in my rice, so it was 2 strikes and yooooooouuuuu're OUT (of my mouth)!


Hubby's dish was lip-smacking good. The redfish was light and moist and grilled with some cajun seasoning, topped with lump crabmeat and served with a lemon butter sauce. And it was served with some veggies and really crispy potatoes. It was a dish filled with various textures and flavors with the crunchy and the soft, the spicy and the sweet, but it worked - and it was an absolute success!


Because we still had a bit more time to kill before our tour, we decided to order up some dessert. As this confection takes 20 minutes to prepare, it was the perfect choice. If you ever have the pleasure of eating at Red Fish Grill, you should definitely order their Double Chocolate Bread Pudding. My husband doesn't like regular bread pudding, but he LOVED this. It's made with dark and semisweet chocolate bread pudding, served with chocolate almond bark, and if you didn't already have enough chocolate - you could pour on some white and dark chocolate ganache. Did I mention this dessert was made with chocolate? Rich, warm, sweet and creamy, this dish was like the exclamation point on an already great meal. But I definitely needed my hubby to roll me out of there...


Now, I'm sure you're all wondering if we did, in fact, encounter any ghosts on our Haunted French Quarter Walk. Well, we started off in one of the ballrooms at the Bourbon Orleans hotel and I snapped off a bunch of pictures to see what I could catch on film. And I struck gold with the photo below. As you can see, there's a big light orb in the upper right hand corner and there are also a few smaller ones throughout (if you click on the photo to enlarge it, you should be able to see them). We were told by our tour guide that there were about 6 ghosts inhabiting this room, so I'll leave it up to you - do you think I captured a spirit from the other side?


Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - B+ (chairs were a bit hard)
Taste - A
Presentation - A
Service - A
Price - $$

Restaurant Info:
Red Fish Grill
115 Bourbon Street
New Orleans LA 70130
504-598-1200

Red Fish Grill on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Hub Food Blogger September 18, 2009 at 5:47 AM  

Outstanding review. I've long been a big fan of the Redfish grill they have an ever changing menu due to the season and what fresh seafood is available.

They have a pecan crusted catfish that is also amazing.

I've been there several times, tried a number of their seafood offerings and have never come away disappointed.

Brie: Le Grand Fromage September 20, 2009 at 5:29 AM  

Wow, that dessert sounds incredible!

My friend took a vacation to New Orleans back in March and she stayed overnight in a haunted plantation. The photo of her bedroom looked like it was raining from so many orbs! So my vote is you got one. ::cue Ghostbusters music::

Tally Foodie November 10, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

Hub - Thanks for the love! The pecan crusted catfish does sound yummy. I'll have to keep that in mind if we ever return!

Brie - Okay, I'm going to take that as verification that I caught a bonafide ghost on camera! Score!!!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!