New Orleans Day 3 - Maya's


For brunch on Sunday, we headed over to the Garden District, not knowing what we would find. We had no recommendations from anyone about restaurants in this area, but we thought it looked like a cute part of town worth exploring. The parking spot we found just happened to be right in front of Maya's, and so fate graciously intervened.



Billed as having Latin Fusion Cuisine, we thought, what the heck? So we sauntered in and were seated right away, as there was only 2 other people in the joint. Normally, that would worry me, since all the other restaurants we went to required us to wait in line, but I was just so hungry, I didn't really care. Our waiter quickly informed us that they were offering 2 for 1 sangrias, mimosas and mojitos, which was their signature house drink. Well, you didn't have to tell us twice - we ordered up 2 mojitos right quick! And I have to say, is that these were the best mojitos I've ever had in my ENTIRE alcohol-drinking life. I consider the act of making mojitos an art form - if there's too much sugar it's too sweet and hurts your tummy, if there's too much club soda it's too bitter and hurts your taste buds. But these mojitos were just right - cool, refreshing and lightly sweet. Ahhhhhhh......


Next, they brought us out some chips and dip. But this wasn't just any ole chips and dips - these were so yumdillyicious I could have eaten 3 baskets worth (I actually ate 2, but hey - don't judge me!). The chips were so light and crispy and the dip was made with sweet pepper jelly and honey and it tasted like the nectar of the gods! It started out sweet and then it served up a tangy-spicy kick that was uber-addictive. Let me tell ya, I was ready to tap a vein and insert an IV of this stuff!


For our main courses, I chose the Coconut Curry Shrimp and hubby superbly chose the Tuna Tartar. The shrimp came in this deliciously sweet and spicy curry (it was just a sweet and spicy meal all around!) and were served up with sticky white rice. I have to admit, my nose did start to run a bit because of the spiciness, but I loved it anyway. My husband's dish was absolutely mouth-watering! It consisted of sushi grade tuna, tomatoes, avocado, green and red peppers, all chopped into little cubes, soaked into a soy-ginger sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds. You took the chips, dipped it into the heavenly mixture and then let the tartar work it's magic. All of the ingredients were wonderfully fresh and flavorful and the soy sauce was just a tad sweet, making it irresistibly yummy. We were super glad that we just happened to find a parking spot right in front of this little joint, otherwise we never would have had the pleasure of eating there!

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - A
Taste - A+
Presentation - A+
Service - A
Price - $$

Restaurant Info:
Maya's
2027 Magazine Street
New Orleans LA 70310
504-309-3401

Mayas on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Brie: Le Grand Fromage September 20, 2009 at 5:31 AM  

Yum - this sounds like my kind of meal!

Tally Foodie November 10, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

OMG - this place was amazing! I'd definitely revisit if I go back to New Orleans!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!