The Cake Shop - Little Slices of Heaven


Because I am a tad addicted to cupcakes at the moment (okay, a tad maybe the understatement of the year) I decided to check out the cupcakes over at The Cake Shop. It's a quaint little bakery off John Knox Rd. that many Tallahasseeians (I'm just going to keep using that term until someone tells me different) are deeply devoted to. I ordered a cake from The Cake Shop a few months back and while it was good, I wasn't head over heels. However, it was a fairly simple cake - marble with buttercream icing. The cupcakes however, are a horse of a different color. 



Just walking into The Cake Shop and smelling the fresh aromas will have your sweet tooth standing up and screaming for a piece of something - anything - and as quickly as possible. The pastel yellow walls are bright and cheerful, the country style interior is warm and inviting and they even offer free WiFi! I selected 6 cupcakes from their decadent collection, even though I had only planned on getting 4. I chose 2 Peanut Butter Fudge, 1 Chocolate Sundae, 1 Caramel Cream, 1 Marble and 1 Red Velvet. Don't they look yumdillyicious?


These are the big kahuna cupcakes - full size, full flavor, fully satisfying. The cake part of the cupcake is light and fluffy and tastes just like you're biting into Cloud 9. And the bevy of toppings heaped on each cupcake are only bested by those cupcakes that are injected with cream. That's right - some of their cupcakes, like the Caramel Cream featured below, actually have cream INSIDE the cupcake. Just when you think it can't get any better - it does. And the icing itself is rich, creamy and oh so delicious.


At only $2 each, the cupcakes from The Cake Shop are less expensive than the ones offered at Lucy & Leo's, and they're bigger ta boot! Although both are equally excellent in the flavor department. What do you guys think? Are you Team Cake Shop or Team L&L?

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - A
Taste - A+
Service - A
Presentation - A
Price - $

Bakery Info:
The Cake Shop
200 John Knox Rd
Tallahassee FL 32303
850-386-CAKE
Hours: Mon - Fri 9am - 5:30pm, Sat 9am - 12pm

Cake Shop on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Lindsay December 10, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

Hello! I just discovered your blog today, and, as a fellow (self declared) foodie living in Tally, I appreciate it very much! I agree with most of your food reviews of the places I have tried too! As for the Cake Shop, I'm totally in love! I do have to say that I was at a Tally wedding which featured a wedding cake from CS, and while good, it was nothing outstanding. But the cupcakes, out of this world! I live right around the corner from Lucy and Leos, so I have been several times to satisfy the occasional cupcake jones because its just so darn convenient. I think the cupcakes there are great, but just not quite as heavenly as CS. I LOVE icing, but the cream cheese at L&L is just a little too sweet and sugary for me. I think next time I'll make the slightly longer drive to CS, which in my opinion, takes the cake (pun intended!)

Tally Foodie December 11, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

Lindsay - Glad you like the blog! I agree, the cupcakes at Cake Shop can't be beat. I literally moan and groan with pleasure when I bite into them!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!