Bagelheads - Spice Up Your Sandwich


After hitting the gym on Saturday, we decided to stop off at Bagelheads to grab some lunch. I'd never eaten here before, but had heard some pretty good things through the grapevine and was excited to give it a try. It's a cheery little place off Apalachee Pkwy, whose interior is decked out in bright yellow and blue. There are about 12 tables inside and a long bar against the window with plenty of stools and I can only imagine the place is packed during the week.

As we sauntered up to the counter to place our order, we noticed that they serve nothing but Boar's Head meats and cheeses - so we were off to a good start. They've got quite a few sandwich options to choose from, or if you don't see exactly what you want among their specialty sandwiches - you can create your own bagel sandwich from their bevy of meats, cheeses and toppings. Plus, they've also got fresh salad selections for all you leaf lovers out there. Hubby chose the Manhattan Monster on a Parmesan Bagel and I created my own Ham, Swiss and Mayo on an Everything Bagel. You also get to choose whether you want your bagel toasted or your cheese melted. Hubby said no to both. I said yes to melted cheese....mmmm......melty. Plus, every sandwich comes with coleslaw and a pickle (a sandwich shop after my own heart)!



Okay, let me take just a second to praise their coleslaw. This ain't your average, everyday coleslaw. No sir. This was a refreshingly crunchy coleslaw. They use sliced almonds, sesame seeds and scallions to give the slaw a deliciously crispy, crunchy texture. And whatever sauce they use is not overly sweet, tart or tangy. It's light and refreshing with only a hint of sweetness. I could have eaten a whole barrel of this coleslaw and my tummy would not have protested at all. I just love when restaurants put just as much thought and effort into their side dishes as they do their main ones. It's the little things, ya know?


Okay, back to the bagel sandwiches. There's just something about a bagel sandwich that makes it so much better than a regular sandwich. I think because bread = boring. I love sandwich places that spice things up with different types of breads. One of my favorite sandwich places of all time, Isaac's of Pennsylvania, uses pretzel bread on their sandwiches and I must admit, they're pretty spectacular. But a bagel's not too shabby either. Especially fresh bagels, like those at Bagelheads. Their bagels are made every day from scratch with no added fats, oils or preservatives. And their motto is: "If we would not serve it to you in our home, we would not serve it to you in our restaurant." As it should be.


I like to get the everything bagels because they pack such a punch of flavor what with the salt and garlic and sesame and poppy seeds and so on and so forth. However, I did end up a bit jealous that hubby's sandwich actually had coleslaw on it, as much as I ended up liking that coleslaw. The cuts of meat were fresh and juicy and the melted cheese on my sandwich was ooey-gooey and delicious. I think this was just the first of many beautiful lunches we'd have together, Bagelheads and me, I certainly think it was.

Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - B
Taste - A
Presentation - B
Service - A
Price - $

Restaurant Info:
Bagelheads
1935 Apalachee Parkway
Tallahassee FL 32301
850-574-1122
Hours: Mon-Fri 6am-2pm, Sat 7am-3pm, Sun 8am-2pm

Bagelheads on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

downtown guy August 24, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

I really suggest their chicken salad.

Also, your comment set up doesn't seem to work right on my firefox. Just to let you know.

Tally Foodie August 30, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

OOH - I'll have to give that a try. I do love a good chicken salad!

And sorry about the comment thing with firefox. I'll try to look into it.

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!