Tijuana Flats - Yes I Wanna


Okay, okay, I know Tijuana Flats is considered to be a chain restaurant, but as I'm a girl from the midwest, I'd never seen one until I moved to Tallahassee. That's because most of their restaurants are located throughout Florida, although they do have locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Indiana. It's a funky little tex-mex restaurant, decorated with graffiti-type artwork all over the walls and upbeat music blasting through the speakers.


Now, and this is just my personal opinion, what makes or breaks mexican food is the meat they use. Even if a burrito has the best beans, cheese and salsa, it all goes down the crapper when you bite into a piece of meat that's dry or has (god forbid) gristle. Blech.

That has NEVER happened to me at Tijuana Flats. They use fresh, white chicken breast marinated in a spicy chipotle red sauce, and fresh, USDA steak marinated in a tangy lime sauce. Either way, you won't be disappointed. I always choose the Crispy Chicken Quesadilla, on a wheat tortilla (a girl's gotta watch her calories somehow!), with tortilla chips and a side of queso to dip them in. Their salsa is pretty good too, but for me, it's just gotta be the queso. The tortilla chips have just the right amount of salt and seasoning on them to give them a nice flavoring. And I have no idea what they put in the queso, but it might as well be magic, because I eat every last drop of it. Oh, and I get it all, plus a drink for $10 and change. Not bad, right?

Now, I'm not a hot sauce kinda girl, but they do have a pretty extensive selection ranging from Sissy Sauces (he, he) all the way to Death Wish Sauces. And they've all got great names like Smack My Ass & Call Me Sally, Screamin' With Torture, and Colon Blow. If you find one you like, you can buy a bottle and take it home with you, to continue the agony at a later date.


And although they're technically a fast food place, the employees do actually serve you. They bring your order out to your table, walk around asking if anyone needs refills and they'll even clear your plate when you're done. In fact, when I went today, I got up to take my plate to the trash and a cute little gal cut me off at the pass and said sweetly, "Gimmie that!" as if I was insulting her by doing her job. You gotta love it.

Tallie Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - B+ (the music could be turned down just a tad)
Taste - A
Service - A
Presentation - C (but it's mexican, it's supposed to be messy!)
Price - $

Restaurant Info:
Tijuana Flats
3111 Mahan Dr.
Tallahassee FL 32308
850-597-7001

Tijuana Flats on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!