Food Glorious Food - Need I Say More?


This past Saturday, our culinary cravings took us to a wonderful place called Food Glorious Food. Now, if you're going to give your restaurant a name of such caliber, the food had better talk the talk and walk the walk. And I have to say, I've never been let down by the food at FGF. Now the service, is a different story. Traditionally, the service is very slow. They're slow coming to your table, slow to bring your drinks, slow to clear your plates, and slow to bring your check. Especially at lunch, when they must run a short staff. But, we tolerate it, because the food is so yummy. And so I complain as I shove sirloin drenched in blue cheese sauce into my face.


However, on this night, the service was excellent. We were greeted promptly, our drinks were brought out in a reasonable time, our plates were cleared when we were finished and our check was brought out right after our dessert was delivered. So, either FGF has stepped up staffing, or stepped up training. Either way, I was pleasantly surprised.

We chose to sit inside this night because we just had one of our quintessential Florida pop-up showers, so the tables outside were drenched. However, I take advantage of their outdoor seating as often as possible, as they provide cafe tables with umbrellas that give you just enough shade to be comfortable, but just enough sun to feel happy. But alas, the rain. 

One of the great things about FGF's menu is their unique, creative dishes. And there's lots of them! There are many a little gourmet spot in Tallahassee that only offer 5 entree choices on their menu - a chicken, a duck, a steak, a pasta and a lamb. And if you don't like it, you're kinda screwed. However, FGF has a nice long menu of options and they generally offer 2-3 entree specials each night as well, one of which hubby took full advantage of. More on that later.

But the best thing about FGF (the very best thing), is their dessert menu. It's as long as their regular menu and boasts treats like Pecan Pie, Fruit Cobblers, Key Lime Tarts and our favorite, Mom's Marble Cake. Yeah, sure it's just warm marble cake with chocolate cream cheese icing and whipped cream, and we could probably make it at home, but it's infinitely better when we don't have to.

I can see I've already gotten ahead of myself, so let's get back to the main course. I chose the Pan Grilled Sirloin Steak with shoe string fries and blue cheese-ale sauce. And my husband chose one of the nightly specials, a Seared Tuna Steak topped with caramelized onions and salsa and placed on a bed of sweet potato steak fries. I generally can't keep my head out of my own plate long enough to try a piece of hubby's meal, but when he gave me a bite of his, I wanted to swap plates with him. Needless to say, both of our meals were downright delicious.


And then there was Mom's Marble Cake. Believe me, I had to stop hubby from forking this cake right away, just so I could take a picture of it. Let's just say it didn't last much longer after the flash went off.


Tally Foodie Rating:
Atmosphere - A
Taste - A
Service - B+ (until I get a repeat performance of tonight's service, I have to withhold the A)
Presentation - A
Price - $$

Restaurant Info:
Food Glorious Food
1950 Thomasville Road
Tallahassee FL 32303
850-224-7279

Food Glorious Food on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

uncmercer November 21, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

The service was very poor this summer. We also had to send fish back on 3 straight visits. The service improved during the fall.

Tally Foodie November 21, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

So sorry to hear about your bad experiences. This place is often hit or miss with service, which is just a shame because their food is delicious!

uncmercer November 22, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

We went back last night, and the food and service were excellent. I had the Blackened Mahi and my wife had the Salmon special.
Both were great. The highlight was a apple dessert that consisted of thinly cut apples, cream cheese filling, and a flaky crust. It was great.

There weren't many diners last night. Z. Bhardi's was completely filled. I hope that people will come back to FGF and that the quality of food and service will remain high.

Tally Foodie November 22, 2009 at 2:17 PM  

Oh good! Man, that apple pie you ate is making my mouth water! I'll have to check that out soon!

About this blog

This blog is dedicated to giving you honest reviews of local restaurants in Tallahassee and the surrounding area. I won't hold any punches, you'll hear about it all - the good, the bad and the (hopefully infrequent) inedible!

This blog was written from July 2009 - August 2010 and is now retired. I currently live in Sarasota, FL...stay tuned for more on my adventures there!